Pages

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Strawberry Basil Smoothie

No no no - not this Basil:
Although there are times she is so cute I want to eat her. There are also times when I think I love olive oil so much I want to rub it all over my face. Which is neither here nor there.

This is what I'm talking about! Sweet Basil. Ocimum basilicum, if you want to get scientific.

This versatile herb most commonly used in pesto is incorporated here for it's ability to perk up a smoothie with fresh summery flavor. (Don't freak out when you read the ingredient list...I promise it tastes really good!)


Strawberry Basil Smoothie

Makes 32oz total, 2 - 16oz servings
(or 1 serving for a smoothie crazed husband, not naming any names)
Per 16oz serving
Calories: 200
Fat: 2g
Carbs:47g
Protein: 6.5g
Fiber: 8g
Sodium: 22mg

Ingredients:
1c fresh kale, packed, tough stems removed
1 large banana, peeled
2 c strawberries, hulled if fresh
2oz soft (silken) tofu
1/4c lowfat strawberry kefir
1/4c fresh sweet basil, packed
2 TBS lemon juice
1 TBS honey, local is best if you have it
1 splash of OJ

Method:
1. Add liquids to blender first
2. Add berries, kale, tofu, basil & honey
3. Blend

Enjoy!

I didn't use any ice - mainly because my blender can't handle it. :( (note the green kale flakes) But add it in, if yours can (and if you aren't making these the night before for breakfast the next day...that would be a watery mess)!
Although...maybe if I start making ice chunky smoothies, Chad won't like them & will let me buy the fancy blender.

1 comment:

  1. Hey beautiful friend! You got this up! Look at you and all your nutritious information. So pro. AND I LOVE LOVE LOVE your background. When did that change? Super fantastic. --Jilli

    ReplyDelete