Pages

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Hobbies

Chad and I had an enlightening conversation last night. I learned that I don't have a hobby.

Chad enjoys pretty much any project that requires him to use his hands & engineering-analytically-inclined mind. I like to cook, read, bake bread, sweep the floors, swiffer the floors, clean up after the dogs, bathe the dogs, work in the yard, work out, organize things (especially alphabetically), do yoga, read food blogs, read food magazines, think about food, eat food & vacuum. I really enjoy using the vacuum!

Chad says those aren't hobbies, they are chores.

Here are some other activities I have tried in the past that I think fall into the hobby category: knitting, sewing, scrapbooking, random crafts............ I think it's been 5 minutes since I typed the word "crafts" & haven't been able to think of any other "hobby" activities that I have tried. So regarding the above activities, I find that I am not a creative person (I like math & science) and so I get annoyed quickly when I am not able to craft something original. It's too hard to think of something off the top of my head. I really need patterns & instructions, though often I start off without - and usually end up starting over multiple times. And then quit because I'm annoyed. I also find that if an activity involves me sitting mostly still - I get very antsy & must find another hobby to get to - like vacuuming. I think this is an inherited trait from my mom - she rarely sits down to watch TV/movie and when she does she has the newspaper, book or soduku to work on at the same time.

So with that said. I need help. I need a hobby. What should I do?

4 comments:

  1. I think you did those sweet magnet food charts. and I still want one. and i think they're genius!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dayle- you might not remember me...we were in a challenge group for a little bit at Tech, and I just saw you have a blog on facebook. Anyway- I totally think cooking can be a hobby! You are creating something- just like you would if knitting/scrap booking or something like that!

    take care-
    evan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Working out/running/ is a hobby! So is reading blogs. And cooking (because you're good at it and creative with it)!

    I count running as a hobby now (I used to consider it torture). I also LOVE to read and have started reading at night instead of watching crap TV.

    I think a hobby is anything you enjoy doing that isn't a necessity (it's probably pretty important for you to wash the dogs, sweep the flors, etc.).

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dayle! Redeem the time! Hobbies are over-rated. You already seem to do a very good job at "looking well to the ways of your household"- that is hobby enough. If God brings you children some day, you probably won't have time for hobbies at that point anyhow. So, make it a hobby to know and enjoy Christ more! Commit two hours more a day to bible study and prayer! Take up reading books by the puritans (I can recommend a few ;), Memorize scripture, serve your neighbors, volunteer at a Crisis pregnancy center....
    The Meyers family misses you!!

    ReplyDelete