Pages

Monday, February 7, 2011

Essentials

I wouldn't try to cook dinner without my cutting board, 6" chef's knife, non-stick skillet & silicone spatula.

I wouldn't rock climb without rope, a harness, climbing shoes, carabiners, rock protection or quick draws & a helmet.

I wouldn't want to run without my favorite shorts (that have the built in panties!), my Asics, heart rate monitor & tunes to listen to.

So why do I think I can make it through day-to-day business without spending time with the Lord? Ugh. Sometimes I get busy & don't realize that I've missed time until the end of the day. Sometimes I blatantly choose not to do it. Either way. I find myself ill-equipped to handle situations, conversations & marriage with grace & a Godly attitude. Unable to spread the Kingdom. Or fight the lies that consistently flood my thoughts. Or rule in my dominion. This list could go on & on.

Basically, I am nothing; Jesus is everything. And I think no matter what my "reason" is for missing time with Jesus - it can all boil down to me thinking more highly of myself & not highly enough of the Lord. Because if I can truly learn to humble myself, I think it will be my greatest pleasure to feast on the Word & to be in his presence before anything else.

Psalm 105:3-4
Glory in his holy name; let the hearts of those who seek the Lord rejoice! Seek the Lord & his strength; seek his presence continually!

1 comment:

  1. Great post Dayle! So true! Erik quoted someone last week, I think it was John Calvin, saying "I have so much to do today - I need to spend an extra hour praying". I naturally am so the opposite of that - "I've got a busy day - not time to read, study, pray". Thanks for the encouragement!!!

    ReplyDelete