Pages

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Running in Florida

Painful? Yes.
Humid? Constantly.
Enjoyable? Debatable.

I've had a really hard time adjusting to the heat/humidity combo. Probably because I go out for a run & my shins start hurting & I'm gulping for air like a fish out of water & since I'm a big baby, I back off. Don't get me wrong. I've had several runs with decent mileage (4-5 miles) but on average, I think I deserve a cookie if I survive a 1-2 miler.

Which is probably why I have been so excited about my new running shoes! I recently took the plunge & bought a pair of Merrell Pace Glove barefoot/minimalist kind of shoe with my REI dividends. The thing with barefoot running is you are supposed to cut back mileage & ease into them. Gladly! I've gone for 4 one half mile runs in these bad boys so far. And I really have no complaints. In the 5ish minutes it takes to run 1/2 a mile (which is not long enough to be overcome by the humidity), I have actually used the time to savor the running experience. No music. No Garmin. Just me & my shoes outside. And I can surely say that I am happier & feel more accomplished running my 1/2 a mile than I have felt after toughing it out through longer runs since moving to FL. I would have a little bit of dread in the pit of my tummy everytime I put on my tennis shoes to go for a run. I knew it was going to hurt. My legs would feel like lead & my shins would be out of control. But with my new shoes, I don't have those feelings. I am excited to go run! My legs feel lighter, my shins are rejoicing & my ankles & feet are getting stronger each time I run. I have definitely had some tremendous calf soreness, but from what I understand that is to be expected when you start running barefoot.

Nothing a little yoga & Biofreeze can't handle. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment