Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2011

It's the Little Things

Like 30 minutes to myself (well, as much as I can feel alone w a husband & 2 large dogs in the house at the same time) to do some much needed yoga. My hip flexors are super tight from spin this week.

Being in T-Bone's spin class this afternoon. You can tell he & his wife (who teaches w him) genuinely love spinning. He uses lots of funky-motown-esk songs. And then MC Hammer came on too - which gave me a boost. I love songs that you wanna get up and dance to during spin. They make me smile & push a little harder. T-Bone also uses a black light & strobe lights. And he sings along w the songs & yells lots of encouraging things. And he has dreads. He's a pretty cool guy as far as I can tell!

A sweet husband taking my car to get the oil changed so I don't have to.

A sweet husband who thinks every meal I make is the best meal he's ever had.

A sweet husband who is into computer stuff & fixing stuff around the house. Quite a combo - I pretty much hit the jackpot.

Two big fur babies that are friendly, loving & smart who enjoy interaction with other dogs at the dog park. I'm always weirded out by people who bring grouchy dogs that try to start things with the other dogs that just want to play.

Music.

The way I feel after a hard workout. The way my body looks probably hasn't changed much but I feel strong - and I love that!

A sovereign God. Friends who are grounded in His gospel. Friends who speak the gospel into me.

I've been struggling with my thoughts lately. Thoughts seem like a little thing. They can start small but end up WAY out of control. The kinds of thoughts I'm talking about are ones that 1) end up with me in a bad attitude which always put a strain into our marriage 2) are lies 3) revolve around the past which we have been saved & removed from. Which is why I so desperately need the gospel more & more in my life. I want to eat it up & breathe it out.

It's been a difficult concept for me to put into actual practice: speaking the gospel to myself, my husband & those around me. So in this situation, what does this look like?
Acknowledging my sin: letting thoughts take control in my head & heart - not ruling & subduing them into line with the Word. 1 Corinthians 10:3 says, "For though we walk in the flesh we are not waging war according to the flesh." This is the same section that says "take every thought captive to Christ" in vs 5. Rejoicing in Christ's work on the cross. Rejoicing in Him choosing me to move from darkness into His light. Thanking Him for grace. Clinging to verses that remind me that I now have power over this sin & freedom from this sin. Romans 6 says we are no longer "enslaved to sin" if you have been united with Christ. I now have power by the Holy Spirit over my thoughts. Seems like it should be a snap, huh?

Since I have been struggling in this area lately, I know I should pick a verse to have ready to call to mind when I start to feel these thoughts creeping in. I'm picking Romans 6:6 "We know that our old self was crucified with him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin." Ask me how this is going - email, text, phone call...whatever. I need accountability in this little thing! (How cool to think that memorizing "little" verses can make such a change in day-to-day!)

Time to go rule & subdue the laundry & kitchen/dinner :) (If you are a lady & haven't read Womanly Dominion by Mark Chanski -- you need to do that now! or ASAP. The Lord has used this book in a huge way in my heart. He just may use it to work on you too!)

No comments:

Post a Comment